Saturday, May 30, 2015

Red Rooster - Harlem, NY

 

I had heard so much about the Red Rooster. I tried on numerous occasions to get a reservation and failed. (Must be a popular place with phenomenal food, I reasoned.) This trip, I made certain and made reservations weeks in advance. Two days prior, I needed to change the number in the party by one. They said they were booked. Not one to take no for an answer, I had someone else call seconds later. Bam! Reservation made with same last name. Previous reservation canceled. I got what I needed. I guess when you're that popular, you can treat customers this way. Enough ranting...lets get to the food.

You've heard the old saying, "Don't believe the hype". Well, I did and sadly, was disappointed.  The appetizers were okay. They consisted of shrimp with dirty rice, chicken & waffles and salmon salad. I was wondering why the shrimp dish was cold & stale. After all the appetizers were consumed, out came the steaming hot, fresh ones! They were sent back because we're now waiting for the main course.

The main course dishes were Helgas Meatballs, Fried Yard Bird and Mac and Greens with Lobster. Of the three, the Helgas Meatballs was the best. This is the signature dish of owner & popular Chef Marcus Samuelsson. The chicken was overly salted and the greens side dish - way too much vinegar. The Mac & Greens with lobster? Let's just say the lobster bits were eaten and the rest was not.

I truly wish the experience had been more positive, but I must be true with my readers! Hopefully, it was just an off night.
2 ½ Valcooks Aprons 

Red Rooster
310 Lenox Ave.
New York, NY 10027
redroosterharlem.com

"Live life with an exclamation point!"

No comments:

Post a Comment