Sunday, May 31, 2015

Melba's Restaurant - New York, NY


I knew I was in the right place from the minute I walked in the door! Quaint and friendly, with smooth R & B music playing in the background, Melba's Restaurant beckoned me in for a down home dinner.

Melba's, located at 114th Street and Fredrick Douglas Blvd, was the comfort food place I had been searching for in New York City. I had a hard time deciding on what to eat. Not because the menu was that extensive, but because I wanted every item I saw brought out of the kitchen! The person to the left of me had a very generous portion of grilled salmon that looked fabulous. The couple to the right had fried chicken and waffles. Not a one of them had a crumb left on their plate, so I must assume it was delicious.

My table ordered a bountiful Caesar salad, fried catfish, turkey meatloaf, three-cheese macaroni, fresh mashed potatoes, and greens. All the dishes were so tasty and well seasoned. Unfortunately for me, I am allergic to turkey and could not try the meatloaf or greens. But, I am appreciative of the heathy twist Melba has added to her menu. Considering how magically meatloaf and greens disappeared from the table, they MUST have been good. The  three-cheese macaroni & cheese was better than mine. (I need the recipe!) Though full, I had to bring back to the hotel a slice of the sweet potato pie. So glad I did!

Melba's is not a large restaurant; room for maybe 60, including the charming bar area. You'll want to make a reservation. The quaint size only adds to the charm. I did not get to meet the owner, Melba, but she must have a big heart. You can feel the "homemade love" by watching the families and tourists enjoying their meals and the joy and laughter from the party of 12 in the corner. That can only be a reflection of the owner and her amazing staff. 

One thing for sure, I have found my "comfort zone" for comfort food in New York City!
4 1/2 of 5 Valcooks Aprons

Melba's Restaurant
300 W. 114th Street
New York, NY 10026
melbasrestaurant.com

"Live life with an exclamation point!"


No comments:

Post a Comment